Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Packing for Korea - Personal Supplies

Personal Supplies:
Here is the best list I could put together of personal care products that you can and can’t get here in Korea. I’m sure that I’m forgetting something so please comment if you see something that should be on the list or have questions. 

Western beauty brands available in most big grocery stores here:


Hair Care:
Herbal Essence
Nieva
Aveeno 
Pantene
Face & Body:
Vaseline 
Neutrogena
Clean and Clear 
Ponds

WARNING: Some products here contain skin lightening elements. Watch out for terms like “brightening” or “fairness”. 

Other:
ReNu Contact Lens Solution
Kotex
Always 
Tampax 
Johnson & Johnson Baby Products
Halls
Ricola
Chapstick (Double the price)
LipSmackers
Listerine
Specialty Beauty Shops:
The Body Shop
Fruits & Passion
Lush (Seoul)
Personal Supplies To Bring:
A year’s supply of deodorant - The average Korean doesn’t wear deodorant, thus stores do not sell it here. You can get it some at the foreign import stores. I Love Cookie  in Jeongja,Bundang and the foreign foods import store in Itaewon, Seoul. Be prepared to spend about 7000-12000 won ($6-$11) per stick. 
Make up: If you don’t have light skin tones you will need to bring your own foundation, powder and such from home.


Visine
Advil Cold & Sinus
Any pain killer that you use regularly
Tums (you can find here but it is VERY expensive)
Pepto Bismol
Ginger Gravol
Imodium
Cold and flu cough syrup
Allergy Medicine
Any supplements or vitamins that you take
You will catch a cold here and its better to be prepared than have to navigate a Korean pharmacy. (See more about medicine under “Visiting a Doctor in Korea”)
Tip - If you are prone to UTI’s or whatever you may want to ask your Dr. to hook you up with a "just in case" prescription.
Things I’m happy I brought:
Body Lotion - The lotion here that I have found is very thin/watery. I like to slather it on so I brought my favorite brand from home. 
I have dark skin and brought a year’s supply of make up with me. I even brought mascara which I so happy about since it is much more expensive here. 
I also brought tons of medicine. I am so thankful since I have been sick a lot here. 

Please comment if you have something to add!

Good Luck,
B


p.s. I also brought toothpaste (the stuff here freaked me out a bit). There are options here but you may want to pack a couple of tubes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment